As many of you know I have been working with business owners to improve their profits while building a Truth based culture for almost 3 years. Seems like a long time to me but in the overall scheme of things a drop in the bucket. Based on that experience here is my Current Best Thinking on today’s question.
Why don’t more businesses achieve their dreams and goals?
I believe there are at least three significant factors that are required to build the business of our dreams and the associated goals.
1) Skills – certain skill sets are required to be a successful business owner. Skills surrounding serving and finding customers and skills required to operate and innovate our businesses. Leadership and management skills fall in this category. As an example, if you are a carpet cleaner you need to skillfully clean carpets, effectively find the next customer and invoice and collect from them.
2) Vision and Goals – in business as in life it is critical that we write down and regularly review where we are headed. Things like:
- Why we do what we do
- What we want our business to look like in the future
- SMART Goals
- Identifying the core values of our business
3) Self-Belief – this is our sub-conscious silently telling us what we can or cannot achieve and what we are or are not worthy to accomplish. This is the more difficult area to change.
If you lack the Skills (#1 above) to manage and execute you business find a model or coach to help. Contact a successful business owner doing what you do and ask his help. You will be surprised by their positive response.
If you lack clarity of purpose, vision, goals or values (#2 above), simply sit down and start writing. Print what you have written and look at it at least monthly. If you need a template to start your effort, email me and I will send you ours.
If Self-belief (#3 above) is the problem, that is a little more difficult to address. First, because it is usually difficult for us to see. Secondly, if we do see it, how do we change it? Our Forum’s deploy one approach to positively impacting self-belief. YOUR SELF-BELIEF IMPROVES when you regularly execute Vital Activities that are aligned to an important Goal that is aligned to your Vision and Purpose in a 100% encouraging environment (think small group).
The start of a new year is a great time to look at our dreams and goals. Take a minute to assess which of these three areas is the biggest hindrance to your success in 2011 and DO ONE THING TO CHANGE IT.
If I can help please don’t hesitate to contact me. That is what I do!